This Chinese chef knife is the real deal. Unlike some other cheaper models, this one has the classic very deep shape, and it's very sharp thanks to the new Wusthof PeTEC factory sharpening, and very well made. If you're looking for a proper high-quality and rugged and well-made stainless-steel Chinese chef knife, this one is a great choice. Note that this is a full Classic IKON model, fully forged (so the steel is harder and stronger and higher quality than cheaper versions). Remember -- while it looks like a cleaver, it's thinner and lighter than our Western cleavers and is used as a general purpose chef's knife (cutting, slicing, chopping), and NOT as a meat cleaver. Thin and very sharp blade for great action. Very wide blade makes for super-easy scooping and transfer of items from cutting board to stove. This knife is also often referred to as a vegetable chopper, since it truly excels at chopping up large quantities of root and leafy vegetables such as cabbage, bok choy, etc.. I really love this knife -- unlike many Chinese chef's knives which are pieces of junk, this one uses the same hard steel as all other Wusthof knives, and is really well made, nicely balanced, and super-sharp. It also has a well-made handle with full-tang construction which should last a lifetime. A very cool knife (and remember: it's NOT for use on bones... this is not a meat cleaver!)
Here's what Wusthof says about this knife:
- The Chinese cook´s knife is shaped like a cleaver but is not suitable for cutting through bones.
- It is used for slicing and chopping herbs and vegetables.
- For cutting meat, cabbage, vegetables, herbs and fruit.
- Chinese cook´s knives from WÜSTHOF are specially designed for these requirements.
- Thanks to the redesigned handle and polished edge for exceptional sharpness, food preparation becomes truly enjoyable.
- Forged from one piece of specially tempered high carbon steel to ensure outstanding strength.
- Comfortable, secure handling.
- Completely hygienic.
- Long-lasting extreme sharpness, thanks to PEtec - WÜSTHOF’s Precision Edge Technology.
- Quality - Made in Solingen / Germany.
Wusthof # 4673 / 1040331818