An awesome new (and more practical) take on the Chinese chef knife shape, you'll love the new Wusthof Classic Chai Dao if you're looking for something new and unique and versatile! It's sort of a cross between a Chinese chef knife shape (big cleaver shape, not too practical if you're not used to it) and a normal chef knife or even santoku. So you get the wide and easy-to-handle size of a santoku, but with an even deeper and slightly more curved shape, so it's very useful for slicing and dicing veggies and smaller meats. A really great and unique all-around kitchen knife, and this hollow ground ("granton") edge helps reduce friction while cutting so you get extra thin slices and greater control.
Here's what Wusthof says about it:
The WÜSTHOF Classic 7" Hollow Edge Chai Dao combines the shape of a Santoku with that of a Chinese chopping knife. However, it adopts not only the form, but also the functionalities of the two models. Thanks to the slightly curved shape of the blade, the Chai Dao is suitable for both cutting and chopping, especially for a fluid rock-chop. As this knife is particularly finely ground towards the cutting edge it should not be used for chopping bones.
- A new look for the Chinese blade shape: WÜSTHOF quality for the Chai Dao.
- The slight curve of the blade makes the Chai Dao ideal for cutting, slicing and dicing.
- However, chopping bones is one thing that only a classic cleaver should be used for. [this knife is to be used as you would a chef knife -- it's NOT a meat cleaver: NOT for bones!]
- Forged from one piece of specially tempered high carbon steel to ensure outstanding strength.
- Innovative handle design for comfort and control.
- Perfectly balanced for effortless cutting.
- Triple-riveted handle shells, full tang handle.
- Black handles made of special synthetic material.
- Long-lasting extreme sharpness, thanks to PEtec - WÜSTHOF’s Precision Edge Technology.
- Quality - Made in Solingen / Germany.
Wusthof # 1040135617