A slightly less coarse version of the original 120 micron lapping plate, so it will leave a smoother finish on your very fine stones if you prefer this. Of course it won't work as fast though, so it's a compromise. Recommended for lapping 1000 grit and higher waterstones. Yes you can use it on coarser stones as well, but it will wear down the diamonds more quickly, so if you do a LOT of sharpening and find yourself lapping your stones as lot, maybe consider the more coarse version.
----- DMT says:
Dia-Flat™ Lapping Plate is designed to easily flatten all conventional stones and waterstones in less time than other methods. Using the new revolutionary DMT® Diamond Hardcoat Technology™ this lapping plate outlasts any other diamond coating in the market. With a consistent, aggressive diamond surface and precision ground, hand certified flat to +/- 0.0005”, the Dia-Flat assures rigid execution when flattening stones. Greater surface area for ease of use. Durable construction will provide years of consistent performance and reliable service. For proper tool maintenance, woodworkers, chefs and other professionals rely on the superior quality and versatility of DMT® products. Made in USA.
- 95 micron / 160 mesh (slightly less coarse than the 120-micron version)
- Precision ground flat to +/- 0.0005”
- Aggressive surface to facilitate quick and easy flattening of conventional and Arkansas stones and waterstones
- DMT® Diamond Hardcoat Technology™ outlasts any other diamond coating in the market on lapping plate
- Largest surface area of any diamond lapping plate - 40 square inches (10" x 4") or 50% larger than other diamond lapping plates
- Durable construction will provide years of consistent performance and reliable service
DMT offers the Dia-Flat in two versions, a 120 micron / 120 mesh and a 95 micron / 160 mesh. Each lapping plate is made with the same Diamond Hardcoat Technology™ and precision ground, hand certified flat to +/- 0.0005". The 95 micron / 160 mesh is less coarse than the original 120 micron version.